November 29, 2010

Day Twenty-Three: Lady Gaga

From the Thirty Day Challenge: Your opinions of Lady Gaga.

I have  mixed feelings about Lady Gaga.  I think she is extremely talented, but sometimes the things she does (or wears!) seem like publicity stunts.  When I listen to one of her songs, it usually stays stuck in my head for days.

But yes, I admire her talent.  If she just straight up sang and played like in the video below more often, I would really appreciate it.  Her voice is wonderful!  But I think people have come to know and expect each new single to be not just a song, but an entire production with its own theme, music video, synthesized sounds, outlandish symbolism, and fashion trend.



I also will take the opportunity this post provides for a shameless moment of bragging.  Anderson is an a kick-ass a cappella group at his university called the Cleftomaniacs, and he arranged a medley of Gaga songs.  Every time I see them perform it I smile, laugh, and even get a few chills. (Anderson is in this video, in case you were wondering.  He is the only tall and gorgeous black man in the group. :-p)

2 comments:

Michelle said...

Who is this Anderson that you blog of? I totally wanna see these singers live!

Yelena said...

I agree with you about lady gaga. her songs are so catchy, but sometimes I feel like it's too much and too shallow. But, she's been insanely successful! :)