November 7, 2010

"Anarchist" Update IV

I'm not sad today.  Thanks for allowing me to vent the other day.  Actually, there's nothing you can do about my venting on my own blog, so instead I thank those of you who commented on that post. My readers (most of whom happen to be my friends in real life) are the best.  :-)

I finished the preshow music for "Anarchist".  Selections include pieces by John Lennon, Leonard Cohen, Rise Against, Switchfoot, and obscure Italian anarchist song writers.  I'm pretty proud of the playlist right now, but we'll be using it for the first time at dress rehearsal on Monday night and I'll be able to tell then if I've made clear and sensible choices.

The rehearsal process in the past week has been frustrating.  I've truly become frightened for the final product of our show.  Today I was left in charge of a specially-scheduled rehearsal and was elated to see some real breakthroughs and progress from the actors.  I'm grateful that Carl trusted me to direct by myself, and I found it to be a very rewarding experience.  I also continue to gratefully learn personal lessons about how directors and actors should interact with the tech crew.

The set is absolutely gorgeous.  Just looking at it makes me wish I was acting in the show, and I sometimes steal little opportunities to go onstage and "play" on the set.  Catonsville's new technical director is incredibly talented, and I truly admire his bold and clear choices for set and scenic design, as well as lights. 

In a few short days we'll be singing our "song of anarchy" at CCBC.  Pray hard we strike the right chord.

2 comments:

Michelle said...

And "Damn!" those props are looking gooood!

Never Too Busy said...

Way to plug yourself in Deb's blog there Blondie. The props are mediocre at best :-P Just kidding. I really like the technical team on this show. Haven't been able to say that in such a long time.