June 30, 2010

Cravings

I am craving two very frivolous things at the moment- Sugar, and Coach purses.  I don't see a correlation between the two, I just happen to want both very badly recently!

In regards to sugar, I'm craving it like a rabid preschooler.  Not good, since one doctor I saw claimed that excessive sugar would promote the length of an infection I had (I'm not entirely sure this is true, and I'm over the infection anyway.)  I lost track of how many brownies I ate today (they were small servings however) and tonight at a baseball game I wanted cotton candy more than I wanted the home team to win. (I eventually got some. The home team lost.).  I try to eat fruit or drink a glass of water when I know I'm craving too much, but gah!  Must I be deprived of everything in the edibles department?

As to my craving of another sense: CoachCoach. COACH!  I've lusted after this designer label for years.  Shannon and I shared a knock-off Coach shoulder bag until it literally fell apart.  I was in two Coach stores in the same week, playing with and eyeing all the summer items.  Recently I thoroughly perused the Coach website to see what lines they currently offer, and even read all the interesting little tidbits about the Coach history and products.  If money was no option, I'd probably acquire one of the new Op Art Alexandra bags.  However, I have my sights set on something a little more realistic, even though I still feel slightly guilty about wanting it.  I currently have this thing about wristlet purses, and bought a cute and cheap little one at a Claire's boutique with which to carry keys, cell, ID, and some cash.  Summer time outings call for the bare essentials, you know?  So, I rationalized, what if my designer splurge was a smallish one?  For about $100 I can get a Coach wristlet (I'm wanting the Madison large wristlet, pictured here).  I played with it at the store and it is big enough to hold aforementioned items, plus maybe a checkbook and a lipstick.  The strap can be worn different ways, as a purse or taken off as a evening clutch.   So, my thinking is that it's appropriate for many occasions, it's an investment in a high-quality, American-made brand, and it's no different than splurging on a fancy cell phone or evening out.  Is my thinking flawed?  Some ladies think nothing of buying designers products, but I'm pretty used to off-brands, and my current income as a student with unpaid bills just makes wanting this ludicris.  What do you think?  When I finally have the cash to burn, should I go for it? 


Now I'm thinking of starving orphans in Africa who have no money to put in a purse or to buy sugar with.  Curses. :-(


2 comments:

chloƫ. said...

Hey lovely friend, I've left an award for you on my blog :]

And I'm praying for you and your health today!

Oh and I know how hard it is to stay away from sugar!

Frannie said...

Sorry Debbie :(

But I think if its something you've wanted for a long while, you should give it to yourself as a present or reward for achieving something.

That might help fight the money guilt. Also think cost per wear.