August 27, 2010

Homesick

Contrary to the blog title, I'm not really away from home; rather, I'm missing my home away from home.  Every summer for three years my family has vacationed for a week in New Hampshire.  It only took one summer for me to fall in love with New England.  On our first trip in 2007 I saw Freeport, Maine, several places in Massachusetts (mainly on Cape Cod), and lots of New Hampshire.  The next two years we returned to the same lakeside cottage in Northwood, New Hampshire, and took day trips to various nearby destinations. 

The cottage is a cozy, light-filled, simple place with no cell service or wifi.  The night skies are clear and full of stars, and our front yard leads right to the water.  The beaches are cold, rocky, clean, and wild, and the towns are old and friendly.  Something about being on vacation makes my showers feel extra clean, my bed extra soft,  my food extra delicious, and my body extra brave.  This part of the country touches the simple side of my heart, and refreshes my spirit. 

This year finances and my health didn't allow us to make the trip.  Now that summer is at a close, I'm wisfully looking at pictures of summers past and hoping that summer 2011 will see me in the cool woods of New Hampshire, on the beautiful beaches of Maine, and walking the rich towns of Massachusetts.









No comments: