August 31, 2010

Day 2, Fall 2010

Tuesday is drawing to a close, which means I have attended each of my classes (except for the Saturday one) once.  I also worked today.  I was supposed to work 6 hours in the afternoon, and only made it to 5 hours, thanks to stupid swelling and painful ankles.

My new math teacher is a sweet little old lady who explains everything thoroughly with a charming Asian (I think Chinese) accent.  Next week I have to report to the tutoring center to schedule weekly appointments.  In this class, we're quizzed and given homework at every class.  This sucks, but it also means the accountability I need to get through this course is being provided.

Attending Community Chorus class was a joy.  Under the direction of my voice teacher of previous semesters, myself and 20 other people will take part in an acapella choir.  I've never been properly taught to sing parts with a group, let alone acapella, so I'm super jazzed.  When everyone's voices fill the room at once on their respective notes, it "fills me with warm fuzzies", as I told Shannon last night.

Intro to Sociology is going to be, I believe, a great class.  I've already taken a liking to my teacher, a sweet and dry-witted old man who speaks emphatically about everything including his course outline, his no-texting policy, and his office hours.  The way he talks makes everything sound as if it is of monumental importance, and he drawls his As in the way a New-Englander would.  I'll have to ask him where he's from.  He handed out a very intriguing personal survey that we're to hand back in next class.  The questions on it ranged from the mundane ("What is your emergency contact number?") to the profound ("Who are you?")

Due to the upcoming holiday weekend, Voice and Diction won't be starting for another week and a half.

Only two days in, and it really is as hard to sleep (or not sleep, as the case sometimes is), get up, get ready, smile, be active, and stay on my feet all day as I thought it would be.  But I refuse to put my life and education on hold if at all possible.  Only in the bad times do we discover what we're truly made of, and for the strength I've found, I can be grateful.

1 comment:

Never Too Busy said...

The new semester is kicking my butt, so I sympathize with you. The whole getting back into a schedule thing I think. I'm glad you're enjoying your classes so far though :-)