August 24, 2010

Heartbreak Burrito

Last night I ventured with Boyfriend to Chipotle for before-rehearsal sustenance.  We recently stopped going to Qdoba due to their lack of wheat-free options.

When I stood in line at Chipotle, I questioned the Assembler of Tex-Mex Deliciousness in varied ways about which shells contained wheat and which contained corn.  She seemed to not be a native-English speaker, and was confused by my inquiries.  But I settled on what I thought was a safe option and asked for a burrito.  As it was assembled down the line and I took it to our table, I was so excited to sink my teeth into it!  It was HUGE, and had chicken, tomatoes, lettuce, and black beans.  I took my first bite and Nathan asked, "How is it?"  I set the burrito down, pondered, and said, "It's so good I'm pretty sure I'm not supposed to have it."  What I meant was, the tortilla was wayyyy too gooey to not contain gluten.  He jokingly make a move to go harass the manager, and I requested in earnest that he go ask someone if the burrito shells contain wheat flour (I'm still really shy about that :-\).  A few minutes later, he came back a grim look on his face, saying that the burrito wrapping is made out of white flour. 

I sighed, pushed it aside, and got in line again.  I questioned the same employee I had gotten before, explaining that I have a wheat allergy and finally obtained (for free) some chicken tacos prepared on corn shells.  They were so good! (Though not as good as the awesome and untouchable burrito).  I was still hungry after two tacos, but felt silly getting in line for a third time..so giving Nathan my money, I made him stand in line and get me more tacos! :-x  He's beyond sweet and patient for me, at all times. :-)

Upon arriving back at campus before rehearsal I opened the take-out bag from Chipotle, intent on chowing down on one more taco before rehearsal... 

They had been prepared with the same wheat tortillas as the burrito had been.  *sigh*

2 comments:

Yelena said...

i've never been to chipotle, but there is one by my campus, i should check it out :)
i'm glad you found something to fit your specific diet needs, that's always nice when you go out to eat! :)

Niki said...

Go with the burrito bowl at Chipoltle. It is still as big and delicious as the burritos, but without a tortilla so there is no gluten risk.
Yes, you lose the joy of eating with your hand, but you gain the joy of being able to eat it at all.