March 3, 2011

Three Things To Know

My church has a daily reflection series called "Join the Journey".  My blog entry today is adapted from one of those articles.

Have you ever felt something similar to this?  "What I was afraid of has come upon me.  What filled me with fear has happened.  I am not at rest, and I am not quiet."  (Job 3:25-26, NLT)  A man named Job went through a time of extreme trial and suffering, and for a time, thought that God had forgotten about him.

Hurting people need to understand God's character.  There are three valuable things about God's character that we should to know to help us through devastating circumstances. 

1) God knows what I am going through. He is not surprised. Psalm 56:8 says, "You have recorded my troubles. You have kept a list of my tears". When you are hurting you need to hear this: God knows us! Our pain is no surprise.

2) God cares about what I am going through.  "As a father has compassion for his children, the Lord has compassion for those who fear him" (Psalm 103:13). God cares when we are in pain. He wants to heal us. He loves us on our good days and bad days; when we are right and wrong; when we serve him and not. His love is unconditional.

3. God can change me and change my situation. This is the best news! Sometimes He changes me, or sometimes He changes my situation. In Eph. 1:19, Paul says, "I pray that you will begin to understand how incredibly great His power is to help those who believe him". God will work to remove the fear and heal the pain in our lives. Not only does He want to do it, He has the power to do it!

Understanding God's character gave me the courage to overcome fear and pain.  Be encouraged today by the one who gave His life for you to be set free. Job did, and in the end, it made all the difference.  :-)

image credit
To read the full article, go here.

No comments: