March 29, 2011

Going Batty: Told In Shadows

 
 A larger than life test tube spills a pheromone on me.

 Bats formed by hands attack me.

I give birth to Bat Boy.

 Dr Parker wants to kill Bat Boy, but cannot bring himself to do so.

 Bat Boy is revealed.

For this scene we were behind a back lit muslin cloth, acting out the story told by "Meredith" of Bat Boy's birth.  Our speaking and sound-making was minimal, used only to highlight Meredith's dialogue.  I did get to scream "KILL IT" on top of a scary chorus singing "AH AH AH AH".  Too much fun. :-p
These are rehearsal shots and in the actual performance the light was red, giving an even more dramatic mood to the scene.  
This was my favourite part of our show to work on.  I worked so hard on my shapes and voice in this scene, wanting to tell the story in a way that would shock and interest our audience.  I've been so gratified to hear many people express that this was the most memorable part of the play for them.

5 comments:

Never Too Busy said...

This may have been by far the coolest part of the show.

twasofyourlife said...

the picture of jordan as he's revealed is so magical. what a moment. i loved that whole shadow scene as well :)

Yelena said...

wow, that sounds amazing!!
what a creative way to tell a story too! I'm sure you did a beautiful job. :)

Jas said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Jas said...

Verr nice. I once saw a production of Bat Boy that chose to do the whole birthing scene out in the open... I think I prefer this way much better.