March 1, 2011

Going Batty: So Little Time

We are two weeks from tech, three weeks from open, and so, so much has yet to be done.  Choreography, set building, lines, and music are all behind schedule due to all kinds of reasons on the part of both the faculty and actors.  It's terrifying, especially because tomorrow we're running through the show from beginning to end for the first time, and it'll be in front of the production team. 

While preparing us for tomorrow Carl said something I thought was very valuable.  Outside the context it's a good life truth:  when we remove our ego from a project, man's opinion has no power over us.  So do your best and don't let criticism bring you down.

I know that miracles can and will happen in the next three weeks to bring together our final project.  I know it because I've seen miracles happen in 24 hours that saved a show.

I've really enjoyed what we've accomplished so far.  Being in a rock opera is a fun vocal experience, and the twisted themes, images, and characters of "Bat Boy" make it interesting to work on.  I was admittedly not excited about the show when I first read the script, but our work and Carl's direction is bringing to life something I appreciate in spite of the show's uncomfortable level of weirdness.  I've worked the most on Daisy, who is an uptight, fastidious schoolteacher with a hick accent.  My recent inspiration for her is Dana Carvey's "Church Lady"skits. 

We finished blocking a shadow play scene, and the physical work I get to do in it as Young Meredith is so neat!  (Bizzare, but neat. In what other show would I be laying on my back on a human table while scream-singing "Kill it!  Kill it!  KIILLLLL IITTT!"?)  Also, the musical director has allowed me to tap into my high singing range, and given me some soprano parts to sing that I'm excited about.

Oh, did I mention that midterms and tech week will be simultaneous?  *sigh*  Acting is demanding, academics are demanding, and choosing to put the two together is just being a glutton for punishment. :-p

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

HAHAHAHAHAH the miracle in 24 hours is referring to Anarchist, yes?

Debbie said...

Yep! :-p

crisallind said...

You have really grown as a musician and that will be evident in your work on stage! Added to the ego comment: just focusing on "becoming" your character from the inside out takes you beyond ego to the place of transformation! Have fun with it and, most of all, surrender to it! Best wishes!

Never Too Busy said...

Church Lady. love it. I'm excited!