July 28, 2010

No Purpose Is Too Small

My "ennui" seems to have passed, and I am enjoying being [sort-of] in charge this week at work.  My boss is on vacation, and I'm the student aide with seniority at the moment (that sounds silly, but it's true!).  So I have been making an effort and succeeding at being on time everyday, looking nice, and being armed with coffee! (Okay, I was a few minutes late yesterday because I was getting said coffee. ;)  The last two mornings I have helped my favourite English professor prep to teach her summer class.  I can see the difference that makes in her morning, and that makes me happy.

I think there's just something really motivating to me about being in charge or being given an important task, or even just assisting someone in a small way. It makes life much more exciting and purposeful!  I know I am "only" a student office assistant at a community college, and to some that's a pretty pathetic job.  But I think it's important to do whatever you are given to do with purpose and joy.  At the moment this job is my main source of income, so I will do it and do it with pride!

What could you do today that would give you purpose?  Michelle at Might and Main shared a great list that I highly recommend you check out- "Small Ways To Improve Your Life".  In reflection of my post title this morning, I think that all the actions on the list are only small in effort, but not in impact!

P.S.  I just realized this is my 200th post. :-)

P.P.S.  More publicity for Michelle: I entered her giveaway on Oh, Mishka!  Lovely new jewelry would be the icing to my cake of a week!

No comments: