July 23, 2010

Fall Semester!

Due to it being the season of summer, my post topics aren't really living up the "college" part of this blog's title.  When I start back to classes this coming semester, my plan is to share lots about what I'm learning and who I'm meeting. (Instead of the usual whining about my various angst and issues. :-p)

Here's a fall preview, in form of descriptions of the five classes I'm registered for (taken from ccbcmd.edu) and then my commentaries to follow.

Math 03: Intermediate Algebra
"Covers rational expressions and equations, radicals, quadratic equations, complex numbers, functions and relations, and exponential and logarithmic functions."

Boring stuff first.  I admit with some shame that this is the third time I'll be taking this section of mathematics.  And if I don't pass this time, I have to take it at another college and be delayed in getting my A.A.  Math is not something I am skilled at, and not something I gave due attention to in high school.

Music 160: Community Chorus
"Provides an opportunity for students to join with others in studying and singing choral music, both classical and popular."

I'm taking chorus so I can take a break from private voice lessons and still continue singing and growing.  The director of the choir is my voice teacher.  I'm looking to this because I'll simply be meeting people, learning new music, and having fun.

Heath 221: Human Sexuality  I dropped this class.  I still want to take it eventually, but it's not required for my degree, and I have too many other things going on this semester. :-\
"Views human sexuality from biological, social, emotional, spiritual, cultural and historical viewpoints; covers topics such as gender formation, reproductive technology, STDs, sexual expression, and ways to build successful relationships will be presented."

I debated with myself quite a bit before signing up for this class. I get psychology credit for it, which I hope I could transfer to a four-year college.  The teachers of this class are legendary at our school (an older married couple teaches it).  I'm mainly taking it because I feel it's something that will teach me information that I've mostly been sheltered from, thereby equipping me to a better and wiser parent one day, and also contribute to my current relational skills and knowledge.
Sociology 101: Introduction to Sociology
"Examines how social conditions and cultural values affect peoples' life chances, problems and predicaments; covers basic concepts such as culture, socialization, social inequality, social power, deviance, social control and institutions."

I know I'll like sociology.  I've always found culture, people, and history fascinating. I've been told I'll have to read and write a lot in this class.  I didn't take many traditional lecture and discussion classes last spring, so I'm looking forward to being back in that setting.  I just bought the book for this class (used, from another student, and at a great deal!) and it looks interesting and engaging.

Theatre 133: Voice and Diction
"Explores the fundamentals of voice production; examines including the nature of sound, projection, pronunciation, enunciation, phonetics (consonant and vowel articulation) in relation to standard American speech; emphasizes analysis of the individual student's voice and diction in a self-improving format."

Voice and diction is key for an actor, and any person really who speaks often publicly or for their profession.  This will maybe be my most valuable class of the semester, in terms of future goals.  It's also the equivalent of Speech 133 at my school, so since I haven't taken Speech 101 yet I'll be ahead of the game!


Have you ever taken classes similar to these? Are any of them in your line of interest or work? I would love to hear about other's educational experiences.

I go back August 30th.  Since I pretty much never left CCBC this summer (I work there) I'm looking forward to getting back to class and not just sitting around.  Though the lack of responsibility and homework is always appreciated! 

2 comments:

Never Too Busy said...

Yay fall semester!!! I can't wait for classes to start!

Yelena said...

you certainly have an interesting set of classes there! education yet not totally boring! :)