May 12, 2010

Student Recital

I dreamt all semester of being invited to sing in the music department recital, and worked for weeks on "I Cain't Say No" from Oklahoma.  Now it's over, and I'm so disappointed it hurts .

Yesterday at rehearsal, I knocked that song out of the park.  I belted out that Broadway tune like I had always dreamed I would, and my timing and characterization were perfect.  My voice teacher was so proud, and I was so excited.

Today at the recital, all my nerves jammed straight into my throat.  I walked onto the stage, opened my mouth, and instead of the voice of a confident, funny, and talented star, out came the shaky voice of an off-key little girl.  

When I sat down I wanted to cry.  People said I did a good job, Ms Lindquist (voice teacher) said I was cute, and Carl said I shouldn't beat myself up.

But I think this is going to sting for a day or two.  To make things worse, two people video taped it.

2 comments:

Yelena said...

awweee... i do hate when that happens, still i'm sure it did sound great! :)

The Style Mansion said...

Shhh. It's ok. If it happerned to the like of Barbara Streisand, it's going to happen to everybody. You did it well before and you will do it well again.