May 17, 2010

An Era Ended

My time as "Madame President" of Barnstormers (my school's theatre club) is over.  It's been a fun, frustrating, and fruitful three semesters!  I had the honour of helping to orchestrate two successful productions, numerous social events, write a new club constitution, and build up our reputation with the student government and body.  I am proud to hear us no longer referred to as a "student club", but a "student theatre".

I was so looking forward to handing my power over (hehe) but now that it actually happened and new board members have been elected, I'm feeling a little sad.  I've realized it's hard for me to not be involved in some activity or responsibility at all times.  Barely before one is ended, I'm off to find another to fill my time and utilize my abilities.  I've already begun to do it this time, through involvement with our campus' chapter of Phi Theta Kappa.

I think that tendency comes from a couple different things.  For one, I was not indulged in what I consider enough social involvement and developement when I was younger.  In high school I was limited to church activities, and college opened up a new world of experience and opportunity for me.  Secondly, I'm a creative and high-spirited person whom God has blessed with many interests and abilities, and I'm anxious to learn and explore all I'm capable of. 

But mostly, I suspect the root of it is that I am not content to simply be. To be still.  To be me.  Me, as I see it, is best aligned with a title, another person, or an achievement.  What am I without the prestige of a social position or a duty entrusted me by others?  Maybe I don't know anymore.

I hope in the next semester to pursue my studies diligently, and be more concerned with Debbie as a person, than Debbie as a social entity.

2 comments:

Never Too Busy said...

"Debbie as a social entity" made me snicker a bit. Is that bad? Just try not to overload yourself.

The Style Mansion said...

I think it is also because you have a beautful, highly intelligent mind, of which the world should never be deprived of