May 28, 2010

My Lunch Lady

At school there works at the cafeteria's sandwich counter a grandmotherly lady we call Ms Jean.  She expects the people who come to her counter to speak clearly and politely, and if you do so, she is nice to you.  If you thank her for the sandwiches she skillfully prepares and wish her a nice day, she will probably remember you.  I do all of the above, and hence my relationship with Ms Jean over the past two years has been quite a pleasant though not deeply personal one. 

When I came back from spring break this semester, I didn't have cause to go to Ms Jean's counter because I knew it was likely she didn't serve much my wheat, diary, and egg-hating body could safely consume.  I know she sees countless numbers of students and faculty on a daily basis, so while I didn't think it was much to her, I did miss exchanging how-do-you-do's with the cafeteria's friendliest face.  A few weeks ago, I went to her counter simply to say hello and was shocked when she greeted me with a semi-concerned smile, and asked where I had been and if I was alright!  I explained about my allergies and the absence of bread from my diet, and she seemed sad for me and suggested that I might be able to have the spinach or basil wraps instead of regular bread.  I was delighted at that idea, and sure enough, the next week she had inquired about the ingredients, and prepared for me a yummy deli masterpiece on a spinach wrap. 

Today I was looking forward to buying lunch and visited Ms Jean once again.  As soon as she saw me, she told me she had read the ingredient labels on the most recent shipment of sandwich wraps and they did, contrary to our belief, have wheat flour in them.  I was as much dissapointed at once again being deprived of a favourite food as I was touched that this dear lady who has no cause or obligation to remember the needs of an individual student would spend time reading ingredient labels with me in mind!  She asked if a salad sounded good, and offered to prepare me one, but today I REALLY wanted meatballs.  She dished out a plate of meatballs for me with a smile, and then when I picked up a bag of corn chips, inquired if I was sure they didn't contain the forbidden ingredient.  Her thoughtfulness was a soothing balm for my on-going frustrating quest to eat safely. 

May God bless my lunch lady. <3

3 comments:

Never Too Busy said...

It's always wonderful when you meet those rare people who are will to go out of their way to help others. God bless her heart.

johannaeporter said...

She is one of my favorite people who works there. She also goes above and beyond what she needs to. She has my order memorized. It is so sweet of her.

The Style Mansion said...

Ms Jean sounds lovely. She probably thinks you are lovely too, which is why she has made such an effort.God bless both of you!