May 16, 2010

Food and Supplement Reviews

Over the past several months, it's discouraging to think how much money and time I (and my parents) have spent on supplements, creams, foods, and doctor bills to get my eczema and food allergies until control.  I read in a New York Times article that the financial and emotional burdens inflicted upon a family with a child suffering from eczema are more severe than that of a child with type 2 diabetes.  I don't know much about the burden of diabetes, but I wouldn't argue that my health situation has been an overwhelming struggle.

Depressing situation aside, I have discovered some products and foods that are really helpful or enjoyable. 

Foodwise, it's been a tough search for baked goods I'm allowed to have.  Mara refers to my allergies as a "trifecta of cooking staples" (wheat, dairy, and egg).  However, I have discovered two options that cheer me immensely!  Brownie mix by Cherrybrook Kitchen tastes amazing, bakes moist, and is wheat, dairy, and egg-free!  I shared them with my lactose-intolerant friend Bethelle and she was delighted by them.  I also recommend products by Enjoy Life.  Their foods taste so good it's hard to belive they are prepared without gluten, dairy, peanuts, tree-nuts, soy, egg, and casein!  I especially enjoy the snickerdoodle cookies and sunbutter crunch bars.

We've also spent a discouraging amount on various creams, medicines, and supplements.  Various lotions from the drug store seemed to help for awhile, and then I would flare up again.  As per instruction from my doctor-nutritionist, I take a steady dose of vitamin supplements, oils, and homeopathic sulfur, all of which have showed a slow but steady improvement in my topical syptoms.  I've also in the past few months been on a couple rounds of steroids and antibiotics, which got me through the most severe outbreaks.  Something I've tried recently and seen improvement in a matter of days is Herbal Ed's Salve by Herb Pharm.  It's a very effective natural anti-fungal.  A couple months back I discovered a line of teas called Yogi, and really like the taste and results of their Skin DeTox tea.  And finally, I think I'm really seeing results with a product line called Quick Relief.  My mom found it, and has generously been buying their pills and spray for me.  I know a lot of people would look at their website with a raised eyebrow.  I was skeptical too.  But the spray provides a lot of relief for itching and pain, and I've noticed a clarity to my skin since taking the twice a day dosage of pills.  The cost is kind of discouraging to me, and I can't help but question why the little bottles of spray cost so much.  But it is helping, and I'm grateful.  As far as moisturizers go, I recommend oatmeal lotions, aloe vera, and Aquaphor (all depending on the stage of the symptoms).

Keep in mind that while exploration is valuable, having a physician to aid in your search of a cure is key.  I learned this the hard way.  Also, something as common as eczema can have many causes.  A treatment that works for one person may not work for another, because the root cause could be different.  Writing this post was just a way for me to share discoveries and keep up the mental therapy I've found through public disclosure of my struggle.

2 comments:

The Style Mansion said...

I hope and pray you get through with this and you have relief from these symptoms

Debbie said...

You've been such an encouragement to me during this time. <3 thank you for your prayers!