December 29, 2008

Time With Friends

I'm really looking forward to this year being over! I know that having a different year on the calendar doesn't technically change anything, but I relish the symbolism of a new year, a fresh slate, and letting go of the past.

Christmas was good. I slept in, watched a movie with my family, opened presents, and cooked dinner. I got lots of great gifts, and I have definitely have two favorites- a beautiful new Bible from my parents, and a cute sweater coat from Ryan's grandmother. In the evening Ryan and Shannon came over to exchange gifts and hang out, and that definitely made the day nice. I'm looking forward to the day I can celebrate the holidays in my own home; I want to host company and decorate and make my own traditions. I don't enjoy Christmas as much as I used to. I don't know if it's because things are different, or because I am different. But I just try to remind myself that no matter what changes, the meaning of Christmas is the same, and thanking my Saviour for His gift to me is all that really matters! At church on Christmas Eve a couple of people in praise team performed "How Many Kings" by Downhere, and it really touched me. Google the words if you haven't heard it!

This was a fun and busy weekend, and I got to share it with several people whose company I enjoy. :) On Saturday Ryan and I went with Dave, Katie, and the kids to the aquarium downtown. I finally got to see the dolphin show! It was a little cheesy, but still cute and really neat to see the work they put into understanding and training the dolphins. I've been to the aquarium at least 3 or 4 times, but this was the first time I got good pictures. My favorite that came out was the one of the anemones- they look like underwater flowers! I enjoyed my time with the Casamentos, as always. :) It's fun to see Aaron maturing and being more outgoing- he is so sweet and funny. I'm amazed at how time has flown with Belle, and I'm impressed at how much she interacts with people and has learned lately. She lets me cuddle her more lately, which makes me happy. :) That evening Kate needed a babysitter, so Ry and I went back over to play, eat dinner, and watch "The Pirates That Don't Do Anything."
Today was church of course, and then more socializing. Apparently there was a big game on ;) so Ry and I went to the Green's house and watched the first half with them. I miss all the time that Josh, Ryan, Shannon, and I used to spend together, so it's nice to go over to their house from time to time. Mr. Kevin and Mrs. Kim are really the type of parents I'd like to be one day, and their home is so laid back and welcoming. Afterwards we went to visit with Ry's cousin Josh, who is visiting from Georgia. We ended up sitting in the living room for about an hour, just sharing what God's been doing in our lives the past few months. Oddly, though most of it has not been comfortable or fun or what seems like good, it's just encouraging to share those things with other believers. I guess that's the purpose of fellowship.

Fellowship. Hm. Sometimes I think I'd pretty much shrivel up and die if it weren't for the love of good friends. On that note I say, good night. :)

No comments: