January 27, 2011

Reading at The Carrot

What the what?  Debbie hasn't blogged in a week?  She hasn't finished telling you about all her theatre adventures in the month of January?  Oh noes!

I mentioned in this post that I was invited to be a part of a play reading at a Baltimore Playwright's Festival meeting.  Not advancing in the Irene Ryans meant that I could take advantage of the opportunity.  People who are part of the BPF submit and judge scripts of local playwrights and select ones for production at the summer festival.  Directors or producers who attend the readings can also decide to offer the playwright a chance for their production to be staged at a local theater (the equivalent of a novel writer having their manuscript selected for publishing).  So, I was excited to not only be seen by those active in my city's theatre community, but be a part of helping the playwright achieve his goal!

We had one rehearsal the night before the reading at a little theater called The Strand.  The director of the reading is a friend of mine and we carpooled to rehearsal together.  That evening I learned a lot more about her, the BPF, equity acting, and just had a good time discussing theatre and education with her.  We rehearsed with three other actors and the playwright was present.  Most of us had read the script beforehand, and the rehearsal was for getting acquainted with how and when to move about (sit or stand) and react to each other.  The director read the stage directions and we did very little physical movement.  I was ready for the challenge of acting strictly with my face and voice!

The next morning I (with Boyfriend's company) ventured to the Single Carrot Theatre where the meeting and reading were taking place.  They were holding a reading marathon of three plays, and mine was the second one.  To get to the meeting location we entered a warehouse, climbed several stairs, and found ourselves in a brick-walled, high-ceilinged room with large covered windows.  It looked as if it had been converted in to an office/costume shop/meeting room, and there were lots of chairs and couches.  They were wrapping up discussion of the previous play as I nervously entered the room.  Who would I talk to?  What would they think of me?  Was I going to get nervous and look stupid?  Thankfully, I found my director and fellow readers almost right away, and the playwright found us.  I felt accepted into a new social circle when he greeted me with a "hello my dear" and kissed me on the cheek!  (I laugh at myself, but it still felt like a big deal.)

The reading itself went so well with two minor exceptions - in my first scene I started to inexplicably lose my voice (thankfully we had all brought water) and the minor blocking we had planned got slightly switched around.  When it was over and it was time for comments from the audience (which are supposed to be directed at the playwright) several people complimented the acting of the script.  I'm so excited that my first impression was a good one!

And it's not my last impression because this Saturday I'm doing another reading!  My director friend told me that they are always looking for readers, and to keep an eye on the website and volunteer myself.  That's exactly what I did, and this weekend I have the title role in a script called "Mandy" at the next BPF marathon. :-)

3 comments:

Never Too Busy said...

Sweet. Congrats!

Jade Carver said...

That sounds really exciting!

Niki said...

that sounds like fun