January 20, 2011

Festival Adventure, Day Three

(Have I kept you in suspense long enough? ;-)

Getting back to the festival on the day of the semi-final announcement was stressful.  I enjoyed being in my bed the night before, but it was a typical night for me filled with fitful sleep and  feeling icky in the morning.  I awoke as early as I could manage (Anderson actually texted me and beat me to being up and about! :-p), got myself calm and together, found a cute outfit, and headed out the door (coffee in hand) with my mom and brother to make the drive back to Towson.

My mom doesn't handle traveling to new places well, and I don't always have the amount of patience I need to help her.  Between traffic circles and not being familiar with the Towson campus, we found ourselves very flustered by the time we found my destination at the Center For the Arts building (we ended up following a providentially-placed shuttle in traffic to where I needed to go). 

I arrived about 30 minutes before the big announcement and all my friends were apparently still in a morning showing of a play.  I camped out in the lobby (joined by some unwanted company) and waited for the play to let out.  I texted and tweeted a few fellow nominees and tried to keep my anticipation and excitement level to a minimum.  At this point, despite my conflict with the play reading, I wanted very much to be a semi-finalist.  The show finally let out and in the mass of humanity in the lobby, my dear scene partner found me and we stood together as the Irene Ryan coordinator stood on a chair and politely shouted for our attention.  He started to read off names, which were briefly followed by clapping or cheering but quickly hushed to hear the next talented name.  32 names out of 250something seemed to take a long time, keeping my hope alive a little longer that I would hear mine.

But I didn't hear mine.  Mr. Coordinator finished, people started to talk and cheer and dissipate, and Anderson hugged me and asked how I was.  I said "Yeah, I'm fine" but I was fighting back tears.  I was relieved to not be committed to the rest of the festival, but disappointed that the journey was over.  "I need some coffee" I told him as I hugged him back.  We went to find our other friends (and congratulate one who had made it to semis! :-D) made our way down to a cafe and planned the rest of our day.

After that we went in a big group to see "25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee".  This show gets a lot of hype, and I went to see it only because I wanted to see why.  The school who brought "Spelling Bee" had lost their sound techinician to illness and gotten volunteers from the festival to fill in, so tech-wise it had a lot of rough spots.  It was a good show with catchy music and lots of funny moments, but I didn't fall in love with it.  I felt like it was entirely too long for being about a spelling bee.  Plus, we sat in the balcony where it was hot as a sauna, so I was thinking the entire time about how uncomfortable I was.

I had made arrangements to stay the entire day and ride back with Lauren and Jonathan late that night so that I could see another show.  We tried to attend a workshop about "Careers in Equity" but the teacher didn't show up.  We spent the time after "Spelling Bee" taking a shuttle back to the mall and getting some dinner and Starbucks before the evening show.  I started to debate whether or not I would attend the rest of the festival, and eventually decided that the wisest thing would be to wrap it up and prepare for the show at the Single Carrot.  I had a script and director's notes I hadn't yet studied and I was tired.

So my last stop at KCACTF 2 was seeing "Eurydice" put on by Albright college in Reading, PA (remember I stalked them the day before?).  A large group of us from UMBC and CCBC arrived together but due to seating had to sit separately.  Seeing this play was probably the best part of the festival experience for me, and it's definitely my favourite play I've ever seen.  It was the Greek tragedy  given a modern retelling by playwright Sarah Ruhl, and Albright's use of set pieces, actors, and music seemed to flow in a perfect theatrical dance that captivated me.  The story is bittersweet (my favourite kind) and the acting was very good.  To try to describe more is pointless, because personally it seems to mar the experience to put it into words.  Albright's "Eurydice" is the first show that I have ever given a standing ovation for without waiting for someone else I knew to do so.  I'm happy to report I later learned that this show is one from the regional festival being considered for placement at the national festival in the spring!  (Along with it, UMBC's "Las Meninas" which my roommates starred in!)

I arrived home late that night, satisfied with my efforts and with all I had seen and done and the people I bonded with.  There was so much more the festival had to offer in way of workshops, shows and competitions, but it was impossible to take it all in and I knew what my priorities were.

Thank you my dear, dear friends who believe in my ability to act, or who simply read my blog.  There are more roles, adventures and challenges in store for me!

4 comments:

Michelle said...

Oh MAN! Well at least you had the Single Carrot to make you feel better. How did that go?

Yelena said...

awee, I'm sorry you didn't win - I saw your facebook status that day. I totally know the feeling though, part relief that you don't really have to commit to this project, and part broken hearted that you worked so hard and put in so much effort and you did great, but didn't win.
but, in the end it always works out for the best! maybe there is something else in store for you! :)
thanks for stopping by my blog, and correcting my spelling error! ;) lol. it's been a long day! but, i went back and changed it so it now makes a bit more sense! :)
hope you have a great rest of the weekend! :)

Niki said...

Thanks for taking us along for the ride.

Angela said...

Don't get discouraged. I did Irene Ryans twice, and never moved past the first round.