January 17, 2011

Festival Adventure, Day One

So the week I'd been mentally preparing myself for for almost a year has come and gone!  The Kennedy Center American College Theatre Festival, Region 2, was hosted by Towson University last week Tuesday through Saturday.

With some misadventure (i.e., Anderson's forgotten cell phone which incurred arriving at the hotel, leaving, and arriving again) Anderson and I finally arrived at the hotel where the festival would kick off.  CCBC didn't pay for any of their students to stay in Towson because it's right in our area, but I was nervous about commuting issues and snow and my morning audition.  So thankfully, Anderson and I were allowed to crash with some students from his school who did have rooms because they were putting on their production, Las Meninas, at the festival.  I felt both grateful and rude for staying with them, but everyone was nice and it made the whole experience so much easier for me. 

So we checked in and ran into other CCBC students.  I opted to get dinner with Lauren (from "Anarchist") and her scene partner, Jonathan.  We had a great time at PF Changs (my first time eating there) and wandering around Towson Town Center, coffee in hand.  I found I have a lot in common with them both (even more than I already thought) and we bonded quickly.

We went back in time for orientation (but not before I lost my cell phone in the hotel bathroom and hugged the cleaning lady who returned it).  Orientation is basically an hour of rowdy and fun introductions of the shows and events planned for the week.  Our keynote speaker, Avery Brooks, was introduced and I took a small video of that (it's on my YouTube page).  After orientation, Anderson and I got in some last minute rehearsal of our scene and then went to bed.

I was prepared to not get much sleep, one because my audition was the next morning, and two because I never sleep well in new places.  Since I'm convinced I dreamt I acted in a scene that was a cross between "A Streetcar Named Desire" and "Black Swan" (don't ask me how that would work) I must have slept at some point.

3 comments:

Michelle said...

Don't feel rude for staying with some students! I'm sure they were happy to have you and I'm glad to hear that this week you've been so anxious about, went well. You go girl!

Angela said...

I'm starting rehearsals for Las Meninas one week from today. :)

Niki said...

1. can't wait to hear about the rest
2. was Avery Brooks' voice awesome?