January 29, 2011

Carrot Revisited

My second BPF experience was as great as the first, despite getting lost downtown and being half an hour late!  (Fortunately not late to the reading itself.)  I felt sick with worry that the director would be put out by my being late, but everyone was welcoming and gracious.  For not having met any of the other cast before this morning, and never having rehearsed together, I would say the connection we had was impressive!  I enjoyed reading the script because the characters in it were well-developed and relatable, and the other actors in the reading were so good.  Both the acting and script got a lot of positive feedback.  "Mandy" is the story of a white young woman and a black young man in modern-day Baltimore who meet and fall in love against the wishes of their families.  My regular readers will know that I had a great appreciation for that storyline. ;-)

I got see the actual theatre area of Single Carrot this time.  I love how just like at The Strand people have taken an odd, old building and converted it beautifully into a theatre space.  Great things can happen when artists and dreamers look at a space with creativity and ambition!
 
Single Carrot Theatre

Baltimore Playwrights Festival

No comments: