September 22, 2010

Here A Play, There A Play

I'm not really in the mood to blog, but I feel like I would be cheating myself and you, lovely readers, if I did not blog this week!

Two tech rehearsals and one dress rehearsal are over for "The Perfume Counter".  We had significant design and technical issues all week long, but things seem to be coming together!  

One personal worry I had concerning this show was relationships.  I did not want my new-found friendship with the director to be strained before the end of this show.  I don't know what it is, but all shows in my experience can strain or break friendships (I say the same thing about weddings :-p)  But my worry was misplaced, and I'm so happy that as a first time director and stage manager, Michelle and I are going strong both personally and professionally!  My actors, several of which are first-time actors, have consistently blown me away and I enjoy working with each of them.  I made my brother the sound/light operator, and we work each night at treating each other with the same respect and patience that we would treat other crew members.  Going pretty well so far. :-)  Boyfriend and I are once again working together, and I don't have a minute in which I don't enjoy that.  We're professionally compatible, I highly respect his talent, and I've learned so much from him that has enabled me to stage manage for the first time without any major disasters.  I have received tremendously positive feedback from cast and crew that as a novice SM I did not expect and that I dearly treasure.  This position on the "other side of the curtain" is forcing me to broaden and mature in my relational and organizational skills, and just overall mature as a person, and I'm really excited about that.

But I am at heart an actress, and today I had an audition for "Accidental Death of An Anarchist" (main stage school show).  Yes, in the middle of tech week for one show I auditioned for another.  I am truly a theatre major! :-p  I feel so confident and good about how the audition went, and am really anxious and excited to see the cast list tomorrow!

That's a wrap for now. :-)

No comments: