December 20, 2009

"You're real!"

Today I saw Indiana by daylight. It's sooo flat! The land stretches on in sight toward the horizon, until interrupted by a forest or a silo. We are in a rural area; dead corn stumps and grain fields peek through the thick dusting of snow that recently fell here. Large, well-kept farm houses are set back from the road, and we saw several acres of wind turbines and several up-to-date graineries.

We slept in today, ate the hotel continental breakfast, and reveled in feeling rested and warm after yesterday's stressful trek. The hotel is really one of the nicest I've ever stayed; a Best Western in Monticello, IN with many amenities and affordable prices. In the afternoon we made a short drive to a small church in Francesville and reunited with my aunt, uncle, and two cousins. My cousin Leah, the bride, jumped up when I walked into the sanctuary, hugged me and shouted "Oh my God you're here! I haven't seen you in ten years! You're real!!" Hehehe, I squeezed her back and we each squealed some more while everyone stared at us. My brother and I have been enlisted as wedding staff; he to run sound and I to light the altar and pew candles.

The ceremony was rehearsed successfully, the reception hall decorated, and then we all enjoyed a satisfying dinner at an Olive Garden. My dad is the wedding photographer, so he was snapping away as we all reunited and worked. After dinner, my parents and brother and I headed back to the hotel, finding on the way a farm that was entirely festooned in Christmas lights and open to passersby. Now I'm cozy and sleepy, and excited for the big day tomorrow! :)

No comments: