December 22, 2009

A Day of Unity

Despite the tiring events of the evening, I am decently awake considering it is 3AM. I find the more invested I am in an event, the harder time I have relaxing after it's over. Maybe something about Leah's wedding made an impression on me...

Beside the fact I generally love weddings, being at this particular wedding meant the world to me. I've always longed for more time with my blood relatives, but due to geographical distance we've been largely absent in each other's lives. Leah begged me to make it out to her wedding at all costs, and much to my satisfaction we did. It didn't matter our families had been apart for years; we came together to make a truly special event harmonious and memorable. There was nervous energy and running around and careful attention to detail and laughter over small moments that only families can appreciate. There was love and sincerity on the faces of the bride and groom; a love that is inspired not just by appreciation for each other, but by the God they serve. Their actions and words overflowed with gratefulness to us, their family.

Before the ceremony Leah was very nervous about the sundry details that weigh on a bride's mind, and Doug, the groom, was concerned about her being upset. My aunt came to tell him that his bride looked "beautiful." He sighed contently and smiled, and then immediately asked, "But is she happy?" Later during the reception as I was helping my aunt to pour punch, Leah stopped to look straight at her mother and say, "Everything is perfect. Thank you, so much."

Small moments like those remind me of the type of beauty and love I pray I learn to share with those in my life. Congratulations and blessings, Doug and Leah. :)

2 comments:

Jen said...

What a beautiful, gracious and self-less couple! It sounds like a wonderful wedding, and I'm glad you were able to attend!

I love the new blog lay-out, by the way. It's beautiful!

The Style Mansion said...

I love this entry - it is so well written. You make some insightful comments about family, love and God. I'm so glad they had a wonderful day and that Leah was happy. Thank you God.