October 28, 2010

"Anarchist" Update II

(Thank you, you wonderful and wise people, for the comments on my last post.  They were really encouraging and reassuring. :-)

We open in two weeks!  Dun dun dun.  Just kidding.  The designers and actors are engaged in a mad dash of preparation, and I have total faith in our end product.

The actors have come to me regularly asking for help with research and to run lines. I find myself looking for every opportunity to encourage them and validate their own creative process.  They're funny and talented people and it's been great to watch friendships being formed as they work together.  I missed that family experience of being in a cast.  Since being a SM and now assistant director I appreciate better the burden of holding everything together and being a support rather than the center of attention.
 
I've been commissioned with two huge final projects to help complete the show.  One is finding a major historical event to help complete Carl's edits.  Dario Fo makes a huge statement about Chile and the Pinochet regime of the 1970's, and I have to find something that is similar but contemporary.  In addition, I'm designing the pre-show music selections!  So excited about this one.  I feel honored to set the tone for the show, and to have my creativity and vision trusted.  When the list is complete I'll post it (but maybe after the show so I don't give too much away). 
 
There's also a task involving the scenic design that I'm involved in, but I don't want to share it juuuuuuusssst yet. ;-)  Gotta have some surprises to bring you to opening night!
 
I'll close with a song of rebellion brought to you by Jefferson Airplane. 
 

3 comments:

Never Too Busy said...

Hahah! Surprises for opening night? I wonder what it can be. And you can see someone working in the hop in your pic :-P

Michelle said...

I bringing in the props to Moe today! Rehearsal will now have a telephone and a pair of handcuffs...more to come later.

Niki said...

what is the performance schedule?