April 20, 2010

We Have A Show! [and a mini rant] (Buried Child Post #7)

Cast and crew of Buried Child had our first dress rehearsal last night, and I feel soooooo awesome about it!  The show had energy from start to finish, it felt great to be in full costume and make-up, I felt connected to everyone on the stage, and I didn't forget [most] of my lines.

The directors were very happy about what they saw.  Efraim, one of the directors, said that he'd "been lying to us the whole time" about how good the show was and that last night was the "first time we'd been on from start to finish."  That's both encouraging and discouraging at the same time, haha.  Nathan (who is co-director) told me he hadn't been bored (which he usually is at some point or another during rehearsal; the script has really dry spots) and he felt like he was seeing the show for the first time. 

The weekend was a little rough.  Nerves got raw during Sunday night's tech rehearsal.  It had moments that made a tiny part of me question why I like theatre so much.  It reminded me that some of the occupational attitudes in theatre really irk me at times.  The social divide between techs and actors bothers me, because while one group usually thinks thinks they are better than the other, the truth is you don't have a show (or art) without either.  I realize that my exposure to theatre is limited to the small pool of my college's educational stage, and there maybe is good reason for one group to be annoyed with the other.  But it's all personal perception and ego, in my opinion.  Actors aren't dumb, and technicians are to be paid heed to.

Regardless, I am so proud of my club and our show!  The program went to press today, and the cast is meeting tonight to italian and clear up rough patches in dialogue. 

TWO MORE DAYS! :-)

3 comments:

The Style Mansion said...

Well done Debbie, you sound like you are on top of your game. What a nice compliment from Nathan, that he felt as if he was seeing the show for the first time.
I wasn't aware of a divide betwen techs and actors! My brother in law and his team handle the technical side of things, my sister is the director and looks after all the actors. Perhaps it's because they're married they get on. Hee hee.
Well done again, I would love to here what the pres says. I bet you are the star of the show!

Frannie said...

I so know about the social divide between the design and production or (DNP as we're known here) and actors. I am a theatre arts minor with a costume design focus but I have a lot of actor friends and don't know why there is so much tension.
It just baffles me.

Still love the theatre though :)

Frannie said...

I don't understand the social divide either. I'm a costumer but I have friends that are actors, but there is always this ridiculous tension that I feel when these two groups (Design and production and the actors) are working together. It's really odd because like you said, their would be no show without both of them. Its ridiculous.