April 23, 2010

Opening Night Recap (Buried Child Post #8)

Last night feels like a happy dream!  I really couldn't have asked for a better opening show.

I went into call two hours before the show feeling extremely stressed and nervous.  There was a mix-up (on my part) about how to get the programs for the show printed, and I spent almost two hours of my afternoon working with the press on campus to get emergency copies printed up.  I felt so nervous and dumb I wanted to cry!  In addition, the realization that judges from the Kennedy Center would be watching our performance really started to rattle my nerves (more about that later)  So I finally got the programs, hurried through dinner, and went in to get my make-up done.  Stan, who plays my boyfriend in the show, was so sweet and tried to calm me down and give me a pep talk (which I then had to return when his nerves got the best of him!)

I calmed down as the cast ran through an Italian of the show and my costume and make-up came together.  The nervous energy became excited energy which became a performance that I'm so proud of!  Besides one or two minor skipped lines, our show went off without a hitch to a packed audience!  Several people that are important to me were in the audience, including a childhood best friend whom I hadn't seen for two years and I didn't know was coming.

Backing up, I'll explain about the Kennedy Center thing.  Barnstormers decided to enter our show in the Kennedy Center American College Theatre Festival.  Our college enters each of the academic shows in the festival, and Carl encourages the club to participate as well.  So last night the Buried Child directors hosted two judges out to dinner, and then they watched the show.  Afterwards the cast and crew has what is called a "response time" with the judges, in which they comment, ask questions, and have "dialogue" with us about the show.  Based on their evaluations, different aspects of the show can be invited to compete at our region's KCACTF.  For the climax of this post, I am ecstatic to announce that I was nominated for the Irene Ryan Acting Scholarship!!!  This was a huge goal of mine!  Nathan gave me the news, and all I could do was scream, smile, jump up and down, and hug him.  Stan was nominated as well, so if all goes as planned we will be competing at the 2011 KCACTF Region 2 Semi-finals.  (I've talked a bit before about my past experience with the festival.)

To top off my night, I had roses waiting for me at home, sent by my wonderful Nathan!  My first-ever opening night flowers. :-)

Thanks for following this incredible ride I've been on, and for your support and interest!  I'll be sure to post about how the rest of the run goes.

2 comments:

The Style Mansion said...

Oh Debbie! Wow. Why am I tearing up? Wow,wow,wow! Well done. How amazingly exciting. You have surpassed yourself. Imagine being nominated like that! I want to print this post out and put it on my wall.It reads like a faitytale. The roses from Nathan - oh! Swoon, swoon!You're a star in every sense of the word! Yipeeeeeeeee!!!!

Frannie said...

OH MY Gosh!!! Congratulations!!!! That is amazing and I know you totally deserve it. You are such an inspiration!!!! LOVE :)