April 11, 2010

Something Familiar In The Woods

My good friend Anderson starred in a production of "Into The Woods" this weekend and Shannon and I saw it Friday night.  I was not familiar with this show, and definitely have discovered a new favourite musical!  It's a story disguised as an against-the-grain fairy tale that has serious life lessons in its lyrics.  Two of the songs in particular resonated with me.


An excerpt from "I Know Things Now". Little Red Riding Hood made a vow to her mother to not stray from the path.  She broke her vow, and sings after she is eaten by the Wolf and saved by the Baker.


"And he showed me things
many valuable things
that I hadn't thought to explore.
They were off my path
so I never had dared.
I had been so careful
I never had cared.
And he made me feel excited
Well, excited and scared

...And I know things now,
Many valuable things,
That I hadn't known before:
Do not put your faith
In a cape and a hood,
They will not protect you
The way that they should.
And take extra care with strangers,
Even flowers have their dangers.
And though scary is exciting,
Nice is different than good.

...Isn't it nice to know a lot!
And a little bit not..."


I felt a little pang in my heart when I listened to this song.  It put into perspective some of my dating relationships or encounters that changed my innocent view of life and love. 


An excerpt from "Stay With Me".  The Witch sings to her daughter, Rapunzel of why she kept her locked in a tower.  (If you click the link, don't be startled by the scream at the beginning of the song. :-p)

"Don't you know what's out there in the world?
Someone has to shield you from the world.
Stay with me.


Princes wait there in the world, it's true.
Princes, yes, but wolves and humans, too.
Stay at home.
I am home.


Who out there could love you more than I?
What out there that I cannot supply?
Stay with me.


Stay with me,
The world is dark and wild.
Stay a child while you can be a child.
With me."


There was no way this song could escape me.  I have extremely loving and protective parents.  While I was never literally locked up at home, many constraints were put on me that were meant to shield me, yet more so ended up making me resentful and unprepared.  Rapunzel escaped her tower regardless of her mother's pleas, just as I have learned to carve a life for myself separate from that of my family and their expectations of me.

I realize the two songs and lessons go hand-in-hand if you think about it.  If one does not stray from the path, or leave the tower, than one will never get hurt.  Is the hurt worth the lessons that are learned and value added to the journey?  I have come to think so.

Don't be afraid of the woods.  But don't throw caution or vows to the wind, either.

1 comment:

The Style Mansion said...

Paul says that he became all things to all men so that by all possible means he might save some(I Corinthians 9,22).
We are also warned that in doing so, we beware lest we fall into the same temptations. Experience can be learned through the mistakes we make and the pain we feel when we make them. Some of my biggest mistakes have been made from being naive and sheltered and way too innocent. However, I am now stronger and wiser and more determined not to repeat them.