March 1, 2010

In My Closet (A Guest Post!)

Today I unveil my very first guest post!  It is written by Nathan of Why Men Can't Cry.  Nathan has played several different roles in my life in the short time I've known him- object of curiosity, set designer, director, friend, boyfriend, crying shoulder, source of amusement, and partner in crime.  Nathan's blog is engaging and witty, and he has a genuine way with words that I greatly admire.  He leapt at the chance to grace my blog and chose one of the topics I offered him- a man's perspective on wardrobe.  So for those reasons and without further ado, I give the stage of this blog to my guest. 
 
Dressing for me is very simple. I get up, put on something not in the dirty-clothesbasket, and leave. Sounds simple enough, but it has taken years of careful planning to get such an effortless seeming wardrobe. In this post, I’m going to talk about both my current wardrobe, and my dream wardrobe.


First off, my mom (who has bought the majority of my clothes the majority of my life) and Debbie (whose opinion of my wardrobe matters to me for some reason:-P) think I look so cute in blue, and as such, there is a lot of blue in my closet. I own a lot of long sleeved button up shirts, which suits my style fine since I love dressing up (which I will elaborate on later), hoodies (nothing says comfort than a soft hoodie caressing your body), and collared t-shirts (“never get TOO casual” is my motto I think).

Now, I’ve never been a fan of denim for various reasons. However, my job is best done wearing thick jeans, and winter doesn’t lend itself to thin cotton pants very well, so I sucked it up and now own four pairs of jeans, one specifically designated for getting dirty and painting at work, and one that I’ve never even gotten around to wearing.

Before I get into my dream wardrobe, I want to touch on my fashion faux-pas. Debbie is going to hate me for saying this, but distressed clothing is a big no-no, especially ripped jeans. I recently had the experience of having one of my jeans rip at the knee (I have my suspicions that Debbie cut it when I wasn’t looking) and it took me only two days before I couldn’t bear it anymore and trashed it. I like my clothing to be clean cut, and well, clean (with the exception of work clothes). Secondly, tight jeans (aka girl’s jeans) are another thing I will never do. I’m sorry, I’m a guy, and I have certain parts that require space to, you know, move about. You have not known the grief of tight pants till you have the awkward experience of walking into a men’s bathroom and seeing a guy using a urinal with his pants around his knees because he just can’t manage to do it otherwise.

Okay, let’s get to my dream wardrobe. As I said before, I love dressing up! I dream of one day having a job/income that would allow me to have a regular reason to wear suits, and even sometimes tuxedoes. I look at TV sometimes (I rarely watch TV) and see those men who open their huge closets and it’s filled with suits and say “Woah! That’s gonna be me one day!”. I mean, look how happy these guys in suits look! Suits are awesome. I want them in various styles and colors.

Onto tuxedos. Nothing says “I’m classy as *insert thing to be classy as here*” like a tux does. Maybe it’s just the future groom in me talking (hopefully someday *crosses fingers*), but tuxedos are just, well, AWESOME! Never worn one, but I’d love to change that sometime. Soon my precious…soon.

That’s all for me for now. Hopefully I haven’t embarrassed Debbie TOO much and she’ll invite me back sometime. Thanks for reading ladies (and guys).

-Nathan (aka Never Too Busy)


5 comments:

Natalie said...

Awesome! I love when bloggers have a little banter going on. Hee hee.

Great guest post; very cool to read a guy's perspective on fashion. I wish more men understood the value of putting on CLEAN CLOTHES in the morning. Oy vey. ;)

Heather said...

This reminds me a little of a principal in MN who has "Tuxedo Tuesdays." He tries to tell kids that they should dress like they want people to think of them. Great post!

Michelle Schraudner said...

Love this post!!

Never Too Busy said...

Thanks for the feedback ladies! :-)

The Style Mansion said...

I love this guest post! Nathan sure knows his stuff!