March 13, 2010

March: Current Reflections

I'm laxing on my duties blog-wise. :-\ 

It's a rainy Saturday.  I slept in, had a heart-to-heart via phone with a good friend, did my hair as close to perfection as is posssible for me, and listened to some good music.  Tonight I'm going out for dinner and a play with Nate, which I am looking forward to despite the weather.  Should I brave my high-heeled boots in the muddy elements?  The longings of a fashionista drown out the demands of practicality and say yes.  Nate likes those boots. :-p  (Note picture at right.  They are pretty awesome, no?  and I'm super skilled at ambulating in them.  I once ran to catch a bus while wearing them.)

Yes, Nate and I are dating again.  :-)  I'm grateful for a second chance and scared of an unknown future.  Sharing your heart and life with another has a tendency to reveal many uncomfortable and wonderful things about oneself.  I'm trying to live one day at a time sensibly and openly, and work with him towards the best for both of us.  He's worth it. <3

My days have been filled with lots of theatre of late.  On Sunday I saw a compiliation of three short plays at a nearby university called "Grrl Parts"; one act plays written by women about women.  They were all contemporary and slightly edgy, the acting held my attention and the storylines were interesting. On Thursday night I saw a high school production of "Cats".  It didn't help for one that I didn't really know the story; two, apparently the order of the show's numbers were broken up and different from the original musical; three...it was a high school production.  Don't get me wrong; I firmly believe high school theatre can be great.  My friend's high school productions were so good they inspired my love for musical theatre and my desire to act.  But this particular production was just...not amazing.  Tonight I will be taking in an original adaptation of "Animal Farm" written by a director at my college.  Seeing it is a requirement for my acting class, and several people I know are in it.  From what I've heard, it's an aesthetically painful production to watch, but as always, I shall hope for the best. :-p

In addition to being a theatre observer, the rehearsals for the current show I'm in are in full swing and I've been doing a lot of character development for that.  I'm playing "Shelly" in Buried Child by Sam Shepard.  It's a rich, disturbing, and confusing story; I recommend the Wikipedia explanation of it over my own.  Barnstormers (our theatre club) selected the play as our spring production and it's being entirely student acted and produced (something that, president of that club, I am really proud of. :)  This is the second Barnstormers production I've been involved with, and I'm happy this time around to have a lead role and also serve as production coordinator (many of us are wearing mutiple hats for the show, duty-wise).  Plan on hearing lots more about Buried Child in the coming weeks!  The show goes up April 22nd.

That's enough for now.  Enjoy the rest of your weekend!

2 comments:

Never Too Busy said...

Yes, Nate likes those boots very much :-) And "aesthetically painful" doesn't begin to describe this production. :-P

The Style Mansion said...

Hey Debbie. Sorry for lack of posts, been a bit busy. I love your boots. I wish I could see you in a play!