March 26, 2010

Buried Child (Production Blog Post #1)


A couple entries back I mentioned the play I'm currently in, and promised an entry dedicated to it.  I've been planning on doing a series of personal entries about the production's progress; finally, I make good on my word!
 We've technically been working on Buried Child since January, when it was in the planning stage, and rehearsing about a month now.  The production crew is made up mostly of people I've worked with before in Barnstormers, and the cast has enlarged the reach of our club with new members.  My character, Shelly, is a young woman from New York who goes on a visit with her boyfriend to his family's farm.  The 24 hours she spends in their home are horrifying, mystifying, and a test of her character.  To some degree, I would describe playing this role with similar words.  The language used by Shelly, her demeanor, and events that happen to her are things I've had to explore and develop an appreciation for. 

One rehearsal that particularly tested me was when another character performed a "metaphorical rape" on Shelly by sticking his finger in her mouth.  This is one of the tensest scenes in the play, and before the lights black out it is insinuated that he will go through with the actual act of rape.  The particular evening we had this rehearsal I was already feeling emotional, and running that scene brought me to tears.  I forgot about Debbie and became Shelly; completely overwhelmed by the thought of being victimized, alone and with no escape.  Efraim, the student director, noticed I was upset and was very sympathetic towards me as his friend while still encouraging me to take risks as an artist. I have since then rehearsed that scene with more control, remembering that while I have to be completely dedicated as an actress, I must protect myself as a person.  Carl, our theatre professor, reminded me that I should give 98% of myself to a role, and keep the other 2% for myself.

On the behind-the-scenes side, I am production coordinator for the show.  This means I spend a lot of time booking rehearsal and show spaces, moderating money, sending emails, making phone calls, formulating meeting agendas, mediating when necessary, and in general, bugging people.  I enjoy administrative work, so once I got in the groove I've really enjoyed this job.

Several cast and crew have also assisted Nathan (who is the technical director and set designer) with the building of the set.  I told him that I wanted to learn new things while assisting with build, so last week I got to use a chop saw (pictured here) and build a flat (I was very syked to have measured, cut, and built something :-D).  Due to my schedule and capabilities, I ended up chief painter, and most of the set thus far bears the mark of my paint brush or roller. :-p

This has become waaayyy too long...if you're still reading it means you're interested enough in my budding life as a theatre major, or that you're really bored!  Either way, I'll continue blogging occasionally about the show up until closing curtain.  Stay tuned!

P.S. Tomorrow I am having my hair dyed for the role!  Pictures to come.

2 comments:

Never Too Busy said...

I was really bored :-P And that is one crappy chop saw. But it's okay :-) You rock at painting though!

The Style Mansion said...

Oh! I think I was going to cry too at the thought of such a horrible act being carried out Debbie! I have always wondered how actors separate themselves from the characters they play. I really don't undersatnd how is always possible. For example if I was an actress and I had a kissing part with Johnnie Depp, I assure you I would probably not be making a separation!
This post is very interesting, so more please!
I can't believe your'e working on the set too!