August 5, 2009

July

As has become my custom this summer due to lack of regular blogging, I will recap the last month...

The 4th of July is probably my favourite holiday (competing with Christmas) and this year it was very nice. I mostly spent the day with Shannon, Jeremy, and John, and went to the Arbutus parade (watched that by myself, which was actually nice), out to lunch, stopped by a cast mate's birthday party, and watched fireworks.

I worked a lot in July...this summer has been the first time that I regularly worked five days a week. I feel like I don't have much savings to show for it, probably because I buy clothes and eat out too much. ;) However, I've been able to pay all my bills on time and pay for drivers ed, along with a few school expenses. I was blessed to have my fall tuition paid almost completely by financial aid.

The middle of the month was City On The Hill, the leadership/political camp that AMF puts on for high schoolers. I served as student support and speaker coordinator, along with orchestrating details of daily tasks and the student application process. The week was incredibly challenging, both personally for me and as for the staff as a whole. Working one on one with students and leading groups of kids was incredibly affirming to me, both as a person and in my relationship with God. One big lesson was that I can always use my weaknesses and mistakes to encourage others. If I was not out learning life, and failing and succeeding, I would have nothing with which to minister to others. I was blessed to again spend time with the Stieglers, who have a 40-year marriage and a testimony that blesses all who hear it. Listening to them share one evening of their dating relationship and life together brought me to tears, and reminded me of the type of relationship I long to have with someone one day.

Right after City I spent a week housesitting with Shannon. I worked during the day and enjoyed lazyness in the evening of just cooking, watching TV, and hanging out. Late in the month a couple friends from Pennsylvania came down to visit me, and we spent an awesome Saturday roaming Fells Point and Harborplace.

July was an incredibly busy and fullfilling month, and August isn't shaping up to be any less!

No comments: