August 26, 2012

Current Course

Last week we had a rehearsal for the guys playing the officers and crew of our "Titanic". The director combed the script with them, working on dialects, character development, and general backstory of the ship and tragedy as it relates to their particular roles.

I was very content to sit alongside, jotting notes for the rehearsal report and occasionally contributing a comment or question. It was the first rehearsal for this show at which I've felt truly comfortable with myself and the surroundings of my new project. As with most other things in my life, I've felt enormously shy and anxious at our auditions and rehearsals. But also as usual, I remind myself to plow forward as confidently as possible (and seek a little encouragement from my mentors).

This particular rehearsal reminded me why I fell in love with stage managing. I still miss acting, but there is really no other position on a production that gets to see all sides of the journey from beginning to end like the SM does. Since ALL things theatre fascinate me, I think SMing is really the best task to continue honing my skills on. Being fascinated by the "big picture" of theatre is also probably why I'm having so much trouble finding career direction right now.

2 comments:

Niki said...

Is there no career path for SMing?

Debbie said...

There is. Just not one that will contribute steady income any time soon.