June 17, 2011

[June] Obsessions

Well, I have a confession to make about this month's obsessions: It was hard to settle on what to write about!  With a lot more free time on my hands, I have been allowing lots (probably too much) of media to eat up my time.  Within a couple weeks I watched an entire season of three different television shows!  Said TV shows were Gilmore Girls (season 3), The Unit (season 1), and The Dick Van Dyke show (season 1).  The last one is on Hulu, in its full five-season glory and it makes me giggle so hard and brightens my day!  Adorable cast. :-)

I've also been listening non-stop to Skillet's "Awake" album.  For a week or two in which I was really depressed and frustrated for no reason, listening to it somehow felt like a release.  So I've been listening to it a lot (very loudly).

However, I have picked one thing to meaningfully present to you this month.  Earlier this week, someone very close to me made a comment which I found demeaning and hurtful.  Unintentionally (I think) they basically told me that theatre is of no value to life.  Well, I'm a theatre major!  I'm an actress!  And like it or not, I look up to this person.  I'm still so upset I haven't been able to tell them how much they hurt me.  I've actually barely talked to them since the comment occurred.  Well, out of that hurt a song called "Rose's Turn" from the musical Gypsy came to mind, and I've kept it close to my heart all week.  Rose is "the ultimate show business mother" who put her dreams on hold for everyone else, but this song is her anthem of recognizing herself, her needs, and her personal demons.  While the context of the story and who Rose was is very different than my life, I still identify with it.  It's traditionally sung with such anger and passion that listening to it motivates me to stay true to one of my greatest loves-performing.

Here is the awesome Bernadette Peters singing "Rose's Turn" on the Tony Awards in 2003:


Well, someone tell me, when is it my turn?
Don't I get a dream for myself?
Starting now it's gonna be my turn.
Gangway, world, get off of my runway!
Starting now I bat a thousand!
This time, boys, I'm taking the bows and
everything's coming up Rose!

2 comments:

Niki said...

1. i'm glad you were able to find a bit of solace in this situation
2. the longer you go without talking about it with this person, the harder and more awkward it will be when you do
3. you make the ourpose in your own life
4. on a not serious track, i LOVE the Unit; i own season 2 if you want to borrow it

Never Too Busy said...

The Unit is quite possibly the best show I've ever seen. And Bernadette Peters is so awesome!