June 16, 2012

Revisiting Inspiration

Earlier this week I participated in a unique way in a forthcoming change within our theatre department. A full time faculty member is leaving us and the final stage of selecting a new individual for the position is currently proceeding. The selection committee invited students who have been active members of the program to come be members of a mock acting class, which would be taught by the candidates while the committee observed.

I found it really interesting to participate in each teaching style and have the opportunity to give written feedback afterwards.  The candidates refreshed my memory with familiar acting exercises, and a few stretched my abilities with new approaches.  It was exciting and comforting to be in the classroom again with the roots of what led me to love creating on stage.  My favourite theatre teacher calls the acting classroom a "petri dish".  It was interesting to have that experience from new viewpoints.

I was reminded of the best part of being around other actors; it means being around people who say "yes".  They are bold.  They find it normal to do ridiculous things and not be self conscious about it.  I've learned that technicians do that as well in our own ways.  Theatre is full of boldness, and I think the challenge of that is what keeps me hooked.

No comments: