July 24, 2011

A Dilemma of Appearance

I'm 24-years-old but regularly assumed to be anywhere from 14 to 18 years of age (18 is on a lucky day).  I'm well acquainted with shocked reactions of people who card me and awkward moments in which the manicurist asks if Best Girl Friend is my mother (morons.) 

Sometimes I embrace the advantages (I was still offered crayons at restaurants till recently; I can let people assume it's okay I don't have a degree yet, etc.) and other times I have to brace myself for possible challenges.  Acting gigs are one of my major challenges.  While it's great that I'll most likely be passing as a 21-year-old by the time I get to 40, for now my *youthful* appearance is a pain in the arse.

A few months ago when the movie opportunity came along is a prime example. The casting notice called for 25-30somethings, and an actress friend told me to give it a shot.  She'd already been cast as an extra.  I originally planned to submit what I considered a good head shot (a photographer did it about a year ago):
but she suggested the shot looked too young.  So we settled on this:
The difference in the two pictures is about a year, so maybe I have aged slightly (finally :-p).  I submitted it, and the casting agent called me "cute" and seemed delighted, but suggested it was possible to style myself older.  She said I had the job, and would need to look 30-35 the day of the shoot.  I freaked out, but worked with my friend to pick make-up and wardrobe that would give me as much advantage as possible.  This is how I looked the morning of the shoot:
Then last weekend I was preparing for an audition that called for a "20something."  BGF (who's a licensed cosmetologist) thinks I look older with my hair up and less eyeliner, as modeled in this look:
 
and I got the part. :-)

Have any of you ever encountered a major obstacle with your appearance or age, especially one that interfered with obtaining a job opportunity?  How did you handle it?

4 comments:

Never Too Busy said...

People always ask me if I'm a student, especially at my job at the high school. Or feel like I'm too young to be competent.

Niki said...

I think you actually look younger in the last picture...
I've always pretty much looked my real age.

Samantha said...

But...I love the crayons.

Bel said...

Hahha people think I'm younger than I am by a few years, but I take that as a good thing!

Belly B :)