February 6, 2011

A Perfect House

"Frodo was now safe in the Last Homely House east of the Sea.  That house was...'a perfect house, whether you like food or sleep or storytelling or singing, or just sitting and thinking best, or a pleasant mixture of them all'.  Merely to be there was a cure for weariness, fear, and sadness."

After weeks of being pursued by fear, plagued by worry, and pierced with a deadly wound, Frodo Baggins found temporary respite from his journey at the House of Elrond.

There are two places that are my "homely house"- my church, and inside a sincere hug.  May we all find a place on our journey that takes away our weariness and comforts our fears.

(Quote taken from "The Fellowship of the Ring" by J.R.R. Tolkien)

2 comments:

Leslie Marie said...

What a beautiful quote. The Fellowship of the Ring is one of my favorite stories.

Niki said...

My homely home is wrapped in my favortite blanket on my loveseat falling asleep with, coincidently, Fellowship of the Rings playing.