February 12, 2011

Going Batty: Development

We've completed a full week of rehearsal for "Bat Boy".  We've only spent one day with the musical director, but it took that one rehearsal to get me totally jazzed about finally doing musical theatre!  I'm so happy that I have the confidence and courage that I would not have had a year ago for this experience.   I think we start work with the choreographer next week.  Carl has told us there is a "Stomp"-like number in the works!

The majority of the week was spent in developing our characters in the show.  To do this we did exercises such creating "commercials" (skits) advertising the town we live in, holding a town meeting (in character, and moderated by yours truly), and working on the concepts of rejection, hate, and prejudice we show toward Bat Boy. 

In my case, "Daisy" doesn't speak much but that doesn't mean I have to physically act less than anyone else.  Within a day or two of work, I had a very clear idea of who she is, and Carl noticed and complimented that I was going in a very stated direction with her.

Thus far, I've really enjoyed the company of the entire cast.  They're all easy-going, talented, and kind people, and I have no doubt I will enjoy spending the next several weeks with them.  I think Carl did well in choosing complimenting personalities that make up our cast.

Check out this creative video someone made!  Because the themes are very similar, it uses clips from "The Lion King 2: Simba's Pride" set to my favourite number from "Bat Boy".

1 comment:

Niki said...

Stomp is awesome. I'd love to see a number like that.