January 29, 2014

Why Would I Accept My Worst, Anyway?

There's been an article circulating The Face Book for a couple days that I finally got around to clicking on. The previewed topic greatly interested me.  There's a certain "empowerment" quote I see a lot that has always bothered me but I could never define why.  You'll find out all about it if you follow the link. Thank you to this man for hitting the nail on the head.  

If I Can't Accept You at Your Worst, Then Maybe You Should Stop Being So Horrible

Doesn't it all come down to, treat others as you would want to be treated?  If you would never accept mediocre love and care from a partner or friend, why tell them they have to accept it from you? 

My favourite part of Walsh's argument was this excerpt: 

"Love is a transformative force, and if you want to experience it you better be ready to change in every way imaginable. My wife does not "accept me," and thank God for that. She challenges me. She makes me better. In other words, she loves me.


What kind of a pathetic and dreary goal is that, anyway -- just wanting to be "accepted," tolerated, put up with? That's not why we're put on this planet. Life is not about gaining "acceptance." Life is change. It is not static and stagnant, do you really want your relationships to be?"
Thoughts?  May we strive for more than acceptance...
-DB

No comments: