February 7, 2009

Wonderful Week

(:p Katie, I'll name my next blog your suggestion.)

My first week back at school is over, and it was certainly a whirlwind, in a good way. I reconnected with most of my friends from last semester, and already met some new people. My classes are great, each in their own way. I can say this even about math, because the professor is vast improvement over the one I had last semester! Holistic health is a little weird; the teacher has this irritating "yoga instructor" voice and led us in a meditation exercise which left myself and the friend I'm taking the class with agitated (the direct opposite of what we were supposed to feel, haha). But I'm still interested in the topic, so it'll be good. English is going to be interesting. Many of the people from my Engl 101 class are in this class, so there is already a feeling of comraderie. The professor is young, hilarious, and very well traveled and educated. Most of the class material is going to be about world religion and exploration. A little odd for a composition class, but will make for good debating and critical thinking. A guy I met this week took this class last semester and is lending me a $50 book, serious score there!
Acting is, of course, FANTASTIC! Carl is still my favourite professor and I can tell this semester in his class is going to be even better than the last. On Monday we did some simple games and role playing exercise. On Wednesday we were to come prepared with an autobiography about ourselves. Before we read them, he had us lay on the floor (on yoga mats; our class meets in the dance studio), turned out all the lights (there are large windows in the room), while he talked to us about importance to the actor of relaxation and living life in the moment. He read us some poetry, a little from Macbeth, and even a little from the Bible (though most of the students wouldn't have picked up on that), and played and sang with his guitar. All of this may sound a little freaky, but I found it very uplifting and relaxing because I trust what Carl has to say. After that, he said we could sit in a circle and read our autobiographies to each other. I say all this to lead up to the fact that I had been very nervous to read mine, but after our "relaxation" time all my fear was gone. It was the first time I can remember reading or sharing something with a large group and not having my voice shake! That's a goal met for me, without even trying on my part. I feel that everyone is starting to bond and we've got some real talent in class. I'm eyeing a couple of them for "I Hate Hamlet" and have been promoting the show around campus.

There are various campus activities in addition to the play that I'm looking to get involved in, and I got the unofficial word that I've been accepted into the Honors Society! Now if I could just feel in the swing of things and actually do my homework, everything would be perfect. :p And yes, I did go to all three of my jobs this week; I love to be busy and have accepted the fact that I thrive on challenge (more about that another time...)

(sorry this was so long.)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Glad you had such a good week! Thanks for sharing. BTW, it wasn't too long, just descriptive! :-)