December 29, 2012

Memoir of Firsts: Snow Day

I value sleep, especially on a Saturday, but was I ever glad I made the most out of this Saturday. Nathan and I took the aforementioned books to our house and then spent all morning working on our respective projects. I fussed with curtains and cleaned the stove, he fixed a three-way light switch (one of his many successful wiring repairs in the house! Hunny is an electrical guru now :)).

One of the best parts of the day was the snow that was falling when we pulled up to the house, and how it continued to fall in thick fluffy flakes as we worked away the hours. I kept all the blinds and curtains open so that I could stop and gaze out whenever I pleased. It made the blooming of our new little life seem extra magical. There is something I've always wanted in the kitchen: a big window above the sink that overlooks our backyard. I discovered we have a robin couple along with other birds who come to frolic in our back yard.

Whenever I'm at the house I seem to have the urge to redecorate our fireplace mantle. Since I've never had one of those either, the possibilities seem delightfully unending. Today I added what you see in the picture. It's past meets present really: a slice of cedar, the first gift Nathan gave me over three years ago. Resting on it, a tree ornament Mom gave us this Christmas.

Hoping for more snow days filled with cozy moments for us all...

Happy New Year, friends!

1 comment:

Niki said...

I've always wanted a mantle to redecorate for every season and holiday.
Lucky.