October 14, 2011

Exponential Belief

This post is for teachers (and their students) who change lives.



Some of my favourite classes this semester are an environmental science lecture and the lab that accompanies it.  Being a liberal arts girl, these classes were ones that I was dreading.  I wasn't sure how much I remembered from my Intro to Bio class, and I definitely knew I wasn't sharp on the math required for the course.

But from the first day, my funny, intelligent, and caring professor has made the hours I spend in his class room some of the best of my day.  I'm learning so much and look forward to going to science class.  Even when I dread the math problems I might have to do in lab, I go to it, and he helps me through every question I have.

Today was a lab with a lot of math work.  I got through the work, but was one of the last students to complete the assignment.  As I packed up my things and chatted with my professor for a minute I made a passing comment about my search for the one additional lab I need to take for my degree requirements.  "As you can probably see" I said, "I'm not strong in math or science so I'm worried about what classes to take."  Prof got a look of surprise on his face and said "You're not?  I never would have known that."  At first I thought he was being sarcastic and was mildly offended, but then I saw the sincerity on his face. "Yes.  I really struggle with math.  I'm not good at it" I replied.  He said, "I'm shocked.  You are very smart."  I casually thanked him for the compliment and we continued our chat and then I left for the day.

I walked down a hallway and out the door before something struck me.  I physically paused as I was taken aback by the weight of what had just been said to me and who had said it.  Overcome with an overwhelming feeling that I couldn't brush this off, I went back inside and straight to his office.  He was sitting at his computer as I tapped lightly at the door.  When he turned around, welcoming me with a smile, I started to tear up and said "No math or science teacher has ever told me that I'm smart."  "Are you serious?" he replied.  "Well, you are."  All I could say was "Thank you.  I want you to know how much that means to me."  He continued to smile as he said "You are very welcome."

As I left school today I felt that my entire perspective of myself could change.  Being the president of an honor society chapter doesn't make me feel smart.  I don't even feel worthy to have that position.  I second-guess myself all the time in the workplace and classroom and worry about my grades and my general competency in life.

But if someone who has mastered the subjects I am afraid of believes in me, maybe I should too. :-)

1 comment:

Niki said...

thanks for sharing such a lovely moment