May 2, 2011

A Cloudy Victory?

Last night I had just gotten into bed and was scanning my Twitter feed when some of what I read made me jump back out of bed to turn on the TV.  Sure enough, I had not been mistaken- Osama Bin Laden had been killed.

It was kind of surreal.  I watched the news broadcast for a few minutes with my family, then went back upstairs to text a few friends the news and get into bed.  It was if ten years of history had come full circle.  Oddly, instead of feeling intensely happy I just felt shocked and almost a little anxious.  I felt an old but familiar feeling of anxiety fill me.  I remembered how for months after September 11, 2001 I was afraid when I heard planes fly over my house.  I was afraid when my parents left the house to go anywhere without me.  I didn't have anyone close to be killed in the 9-11 attacks, but it impacted me as a terrifying and confusing event.

Last night reminded me that in a lot of ways the world is an unsure and scary place.  I'm grateful for the victory and justice America is enjoying, but it feels bittersweet to me that we live in a world where we rejoice when certain people are murdered.  It's sad, really.

from daybreakingnews.com

















I extend my grateful thanks to the men and women who worked tirelessly to find and kill Osama Bin Laden.  I don't condone any of his actions or views.  But his supporters remain alive, and angry  Our nation remains at war.  Will we remain so until all threat of terrorism is eradicated? (Which in a world such as ours, will never happen.)  I feel like it's such a catch 22.  I really don't agree with still being at war and occupying Iraq and other parts of the Middle Eastern world, but I realize that if our troops come home we might be even more at risk for attack.

The link below has quotes from journalists, military, and political leaders from around the world.  It's a fascinating read.

Reaction: Bin Laden's Death

1 comment:

Never Too Busy said...

I know what you mean. I also had mixed feelings when you woke me up with that text message late last night :-P