April 2, 2012

Spring Break [or, Where I Talk About How Great Life Is]

Unfortunately we cannot (as Niki suggested) get married in the "Tree Castle".  Longwood Gardens doesn't allow for contracts for private events to be held on the grounds. :-(  Bummer.  However, I am happy to report I am back on the wedding planning train, as we both feel ready to be and as spring break allows me the luxury to do so.  We've started looking for an apartment in the area (hear of a cheap one?  let me know!) and want to make a decision soon about a venue.  We actually already have a reserved date at a venue, but I'm going to keep the when and wheres of that under wraps for now. ;-)

So, a few other items worth reporting about include...

The interview for Distinguished Graduate went, in my opinion, pretty well.  I could feel from everyone in the interview that I had done well, but I don't have a feeling one way or another about whether I will be their final recommendation.  I sat through a video-taped interview conducted by members of the Student Life staff, communications department faculty, and a member of the college's media team.

In the mean time, I was contacted personally by a college dean on behalf of the president to be the student speaker at a reception for the Baltimore County Council!!!!!  I am extremely honored and excited for the reception, which will be held in a few weeks.

I didn't get cast in any Cockpit shows, and was disappointed about that for a few days.  However, it frees up my summer for wedding planning/the wedding, a possible job search, and for working events at the job I currently have.  It was a good learning experience, even without getting cast.

Not getting cast also further opens the door for opportunities that are presenting themselves after stage managing Spring Awakening.  What an experience that was!!  My crew and cast and I had to overcome challenges I really wasn't expecting, and the result was one of the best shows I've ever been apart of.  Everyone I know who saw it commended it, and feedback I received about my abilities as SM were overwhelmingly positive.  I feel born to do it, even though production and management isn't what I originally pictured myself doing in theatre.  Before the show wrapped the director (who I look up to and had an absolute blast with) asked me to come on board another show he was already working on (and in which many of my SA friends are in).  So in May, I'll be doing props for the current show at Dundalk Community Theatre.  I'm actually going to my first rehearsal tonight to get started on things.

What a life I've been given!  I'm currently very, very content in all things.