November 28, 2008

Got Perspective?

I observed the great american pasttime of Black Friday for the first time today- but no, I didn't shop. My parent's church, Trinity Assembly, has a coffee and doughnut ministry for BF morning and I decided to tag along. We went to a Best Buy and a Wal-mart and gave away doughtnuts and hot coffee to over 800 people. I had a blast! I woke up at 2am to be at the church by 3, and we wrapped up around 6am. I enjoyed people's reactions to a free and random act of kindness.

But I do want to sound off about something that really disgusted me today. They are people out there who seriously need to get some perspective. I am all for shopping and finding good deals! But I'm a firm believer in moderation and I also believe everything should be done with an attitude of kindness for those around you. So when at the White Marsh Wal-mart this morning our church group was witness to a fist fight and an arrest, all because of a place in line, I found it quite ridiculous! People are in line to purchase material goods that will probably not even be remembered by next Christmas, and they think it's worth beating each other up for? I just heard of an even worse situation. At another Wal-mart this morning a crowd of people stampeded a pregnant woman and she lost her baby...I can barely register the horror of that. I assume everyone would agree when I say the sale of the century is not worth someone's life?!

Sorry my first entry isn't very cheerful. But that's my thought for the day. Keep everything in perspective!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a great idea! Giving away food to hungry shoppers early in the morning on Black Friday is a great way to minister! I'm happy you were able to be a part of that. Sorry you had to witness the fight & arrest over a place in line. Some people are unhappy in life & that spills over into all they do. Aren't you thnakful you don't feel the need to fight over your place in line?

FALSE said...

Well, did you hear about the kid at Best Buy who opened the front doors and was trampled to death?

Horrible, very horrible.